View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 08:27 PM

By far I would strongly say that attending a metalshaping gathering or visiting shops of other members is a great way to shorten the learning curve. I have learned much of what I have gained from this community just leaning on a work bench watching, listening or participating in discussions and made some great friends along the way. The sharing of knowledge and hard lessons learned is invaluable and generously given. The demonstrations and the chance to get some machine or tool time on equipment you would otherwise not have access to also enhances your understanding. I do not wish to take anything away from any classes the masters of this craft offer and hope to attend some when my finances permit, but if those opportunities are out of your budget then I would encourage you to spend a few days at a "Meet". Most offer camping or lodging suggestions that are affordable and some hosts provide some of the meals. To stay on topic, you may find help on making your own tools, purchasing some starters from folks that are upgrading as their skills improve or you might even luck up on a generous gift. That will get you started nicely and keep you interested until you skills get closer to where you wanna be.
Just me talkin'
David Gandy
"Gando"