View Single Post
Old 11-28-2014, 01:18 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Thanks guys for your interest. I was trying to bring information together in one place so that anyone interested in oxy-acetylene welding on this site would have a good resource to refer to. Unfortunately the comments below have put me off posting any more. Nothing I posted warranted the response below. There is no point in trying to give people good information when the information I have given is being made light of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
Oxy-acetylene is so dangerous and terrifying that we all wonder why it is even permitted for use anymore. There are so many images of cars blown apart, buildings destroyed, fires burning out of control that it just does not seem safe for any human to do. Why do the goverments even allow this to exist? Over the past hundred years there have been so many terrible burns and people killed from this dangerous practice. Why is it allowed to continue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
Mr. Gardiner,

It is my surprise that you think I am making light of something so serious.

As a matter of fact, safety with the oxy-fuel torch is as serious as driving an automobile, handling fireworks, working with explosives, or using firearms.

However, as Mr. Tucker learned many years ago with his auto company, when he emphasized the safety of the Tucker car by using the horrors of automobile crashes and lost his customers from an over-emphasis on blood, gore, and destruction, it is a matter of degree.

Thank you for your educational efforts here,

As far as I was concerned I simply pointed out the possible dangers of using and storing oxygen and acetylene. I provided links to government advice on safety,I did not rely on my own opinion about these matters. I felt that people need to be aware of the possible dangers so they can avoid them. It seemed a common sense thing to do but I cannot compete with the sort of comments above and in other threads. I would have hoped that someone who sells welding equipment would have a more sensible view on the safety of their customers and the ability of the customers to use the equipment safely. I would hope that anyone selling welding equipment would sell the customers the correct equipment for the job in hand and also ensure that the customer had all the relevant safety equipment and knowledge to work in safety.

Many people have actually been injured and killed by oxy-acetylene equipment but in every case it is through human error or lack of knowledge.

I think this could have been a good resource.

David

All things are possible.

Last edited by David Gardiner; 11-28-2014 at 01:29 PM.