View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 12:11 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Gas savers are great. The electric/battery ground piezo strikers will save even more gas vs running a flame on your gas saver, that is also sometimes good for a quick burn if you're not paying attention.

I would also add my vote for Kent's small Meco torch and lightweight hoses. I haven't bought one yet, but have been told by two of the more esteemed legit experts here that is it the best torch they have ever used for sheet metal work. These items are on my must-have list.

I do have one of Kent's TM2000 aluminum gas welding lenses, 15+ yrs and still love it. It is the best. If you're going to gas weld aluminum, it is a necessity imho.

If you are not going to weld enough to warrant leasing large tanks, you might consider buying 40cf tanks or whatever is the largest tanks you can simply exchange in your area without inspection. Around here, anything larger than 40cf must be sent off for inspection before refill. Any tank that fails inspection is discarded with no reimbursement. Smaller tote along tanks aren't big enough. Having 3-4 40cf tanks lets me work for a while, usually can spend a full day welding if needed.

Having a basic torch kit with everything to cut & weld is a good starting point, really a must have for any shop. These other items will supplement that. I have an airco/concoa torch I love. I have a cheaper victor set that I don't, but that whole set came with a rosebud and was still less than the rosebud tip alone for my favorite torch. Buy a good torch, not just a cheap one. You'll enjoy using it much more and your welding will benefit. If you can weld well with a bad torch, a better torch is like magic....