View Single Post
Old 12-14-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinb71 View Post
Class's like this are what is needed to help bring mechanical "vision" back to younger people. Don't get me wrong the computers are great tools and useful for this type of thing as well, but they need to get their hands on actual steel to inspire them i think. Please continue to post your progress. it's great someone wants to do this. In the past few years i have seen sell (and bought) so much tooling from high school shops that I thought "shop class" will never be taught again. Carry ON!
Sadly, a lot of shop classes have been closed, teachers retire and its hard finding folks that will do this for what they want to pay us. Many school systems don't see a need for tech education. I am fortunate to have a school board that that supports us and now have a growing support for our automotive classes, Our bus project and electric cars have gained us a lot of attention. We were on our local papers front page 3 time last year. I recently attended a meeting representing our automotive classes where our state senator and representative, mayor, some council members and local bank president attended where I showcased the things we are doing in our classes.
Local businesses are looking to us for employees and many times we are the first call made for new employees. Our state school board has even expressed interest on our projects. We attend local and regional shows, parades and all the local rod runs promoting our students work and trying to raise the awareness of technical education. . All is effort is starting to pay off. Hopefully we can keep this up, I think this Caddy build will definitely get us more attention