View Single Post
Old 05-03-2017, 02:47 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Default Ferrari #6885 headed for auction

This 250GTB6/C was built in secret in the Ferrari race shop to beat the Cobras. Despite having a 3 liter engine against the 5 liter Fords, this scaled-down lightweight still held the GT record on the Mulsanne Straight at 192mph, as late as 1985.

6885_4.jpg
6885_5.jpg
6885.jpg

Having no skirts on the pistons and wires for rings, the body used .040, .032 and .025 thickness aluminum, with a full belly pan. It was a 4/5 scale model of a standard 275GTB6/C, with smaller seat-room inside than a 250LM. A Ferrari GTO is large, by comparison.

I metal-finished the whole car for Preston Henn in 1983, with new door skins, various patches, new belly pan, fender flares, and interior panels.
During my stay in his race shop in FL, I learned some interesting history about it and that he was getting offered double money, sight unseen, for what restored GTO's with big race histories were getting, including the Matsuda car, Steve Earle's car, and another GTO restored by Hill and Vaughn. Funny thing, Preston got it from Harley Kluxton for $2500 and did not know its serial # or anything about it - it was just a shabby old GTB. (It's race history was expunged and the car black-balled after the international race organizers caught on that it was a one-off dressed to hide as an Ecurie Francorchamps team car, and it was sold into North America as an unknown, by Luigi Chinetti.

I've been waiting for this car to hit the auction block for some time, because it and the McClure Halley car are likely the top-range collector models, in my opinion.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...r-in-the-world
(this article is not very well researched.)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.