View Single Post
Old 09-03-2018, 08:34 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

I started installing the air ride system this weekend. I know this looks like I'm jumping all over the place, but there is good thought behind the madness. I need to get the heavy fabricating out of the way. All that's left is to make the roof frame and skin it. I didn't do that earlier because it would have been in my way whether it was on the 49 or off. The problem is, I can't even get to my machines with all the parts and boxes all over. I need to clear some space to work in so I'm putting as much into the car as I can without having to remove it later in the process.
I'm using a 7 gallon air tank and two Air Maxxx 580 compressors. I have them mounted in the trunk above the rear suspension. There is a drain petcock on the bottom right side for bleeding condensation from the tank. I bored an oversized hole in the floor there so the compressors can draw fresh air for cooling. You can't completely enclose these, you'll overheat them.

Name:  1284.jpg
Views: 1493
Size:  75.5 KB

These are the air management solenoids. Each one is identical to the others. What they do depends on how you plumb them. The first solenoid takes an air line from the tank. When it's activated, it allows air to go straight through the T fitting to the air bag lifting the car. When you let off the button, the air is trapped in the bag. The second solenoid is attached to the T also and when activated, it allows the air that's trapped in the bag to dump through a line going out the bottom of the car to open air.
I put the tank and compressors in the trunk to eliminate noise in the interior. The solenoids will be mounted in what was the back seat area along with the battery and some other electronics.

Name:  1285.jpg
Views: 1408
Size:  39.6 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.

Last edited by Jack 1957; 09-03-2018 at 08:44 PM.