View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 03:24 PM

Default What gauge sheetmetal?

I have a few newbie questions and thought I would post them here instead of starting a new thread. I have an 87' toyota 4runner (or Surf, depending on what country). The rear cargo panels that cover the inside of the truck box are made of very thin (and now 30yrs later very brittle plastic). I thought as a practice project I might attempt to remake these panels. If I were to use sheet metal (steel) what gauge would you recommend? I just received my Woodward Fab beadroller last week and the directions says it will do up to 18ga, do you think that would be OK to use? What about aluminum, what gauge would you recommend? Thanks in advance, here is a couple pics of the passenger side rear cargo side panel I'm wanting to remake. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to go about it, I was thinking of making it in 2 sections, maybe 3 and then welding them together... hopefully I'm not taking on to big of a first project!

"Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently" -Henry Ford

Last edited by Eddie_71'; 03-29-2017 at 03:36 PM.