View Single Post
Old 07-10-2014, 08:55 AM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Flashback arrestors at the torch will prevent the hoses going bang but will not protect the torch. A torch is designed to withstand working situations. I would only use a torch intended for welding sheet metal. I guess its a bit like putting a 40 ton truck on a 5 ton jack - I just would not do it.

As I showed in my thread the major cause of flashbacks is the tip getting too hot. If you have a torch designed to weld sheet metal it will soak up the heat and it will not be a problem. There should be sufficient bulk in the torch to withstand the heat given off during the welding process. This is my understanding of the physics of the torch. The tip gets too hot the risk of flashbacks increases. This is not my opinion, I showed information from several reliable sources.
If you use a jewelers torch for soldering jewelry the tip is never going to be exposed to very much heat. When it come to using something as potentially dangerous and O/A I don't think you can overthink it.

As a side note, I had a lightweight torch (full size but lightweight) for years but the smaller tips tend to get a bit hot and the flame tends to adjust as the orifice gets smaller due to the heat expansion. I have now gone back to a full size torch with thicker heavier nozzles its much more stable and much better to weld with. I will be going into more detail about torches in my gas welding equipment thread.

David

All things are possible.

Last edited by David Gardiner; 07-10-2014 at 09:02 AM.