View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hartson View Post
If you are that concerned about the safety problems of what you fill a bag with maybe this is not the craft you want to learn. Welding and grinding will produce more problems from a health standpoint.
Yes, I'm also a welder and a machinist, as well as an EMT and a mechanic. None of which implies "Hey, because foo is dangerous, you shouldn't bother to think about the possible concerns of bar."

I'm well aware that all these things have risk, but that doesn't mean that if you're going to do them, you should just ignore the possibility of risk when you have some chance to mitigate it. "Oh, well, riding motorcycles is dangerous already, so why bother to wear any protective gear?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hartson View Post
Knitting and basket weaving are safer.
Knitting is primarily dangerous to the pocketbook (wool, especially fancy wool, can be very expensive) but if you're mocking the dangers of basket weaving, you've clearly never gotten a bamboo splinter under a fingernail.

------

I was under the impression that play sand was primarily silica, but perhaps I was mistaken about that. If that, or even lead shot, don't seem to be a problem, I'll just go with that. Thanks for the answers.