View Single Post
Old 08-30-2018, 11:30 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Default A process for straightening a damaged steel panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell84 View Post
I’m happy to say that I eventually sorted out my door and got rid of the oil canning. I made a lot of errors in working on the door but I think it came down to misreading what the correct shape should be. I was tending to raise the crown too high and overstretching it, when it was actually a lower flatter shape. I had had it close a long time before but lacked the experience to realize it. I think that stepping away from it for awhile also helped. In some ways I was frustrated with myself because it took a ridiculous amount of time. But I think I learned a lot in just observing how the metal behaved and being able to make the metal do what I wanted it to do. I also learned to try things one at a time, to keep track of what I was doing and stop when it wasn’t working or when tired or frustrated. Otherwise you end up trying random things in desperation, lose track of what you’ve done and just make it worse. A dent can become as big as a barn door if you focus on it too long. Stepping away until you see it as a dent on a car door again really helps. I am glad I saved the door. It’s not great work from metal shaping standards but only required a thin layer of filler to finish. I am glad I tangled with this first. I have the nose of the bus to do next. Another low crown compound panel with stretched out holes from a spare tire mount right in the middle of it. I now know exactly what NOT to do.

Thanks again for all the great help and advice.

Orwell,
I appreciate your personal review of this learning experience because it brings out the elements needed for success. A few quick thoughts:

Use a straightedge to determine the original undamaged shape/contour, and then keep that contour handy (paper/cardboard/metal/plastic pattern /profile) handy for reference during the job.

Use minimal heats for shrinking, taking the steel to blue/purple is often enough.

Resist the urge to hammer for more than 15 seconds before checking your shape. This keeps your work going in the right direction.

Relieve frustration by taking a walk or doing something else for a while/day/week.

Visualize what you think is the right process and then visualize what steps you are taking. Compare the two and see how you can improve.

Good job,

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.