View Single Post
Old 10-24-2018, 07:52 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Hi,

I re-read my post and I don't think I was clear with my two part questions, the 1st one was answered.

1, Do you need to use a stainless steel wire brush to remove all the flux? Answers above, "no not needed, plastic brush with hot water would be fine." Great! (I have tried this, since this post and it works well)

2, Do I have to use "Hot Water" to remove the flux, or can I soak it in "Cold Water" for an extended amount of time? Overnight? My thinking is, if cold water washes off the flux, before it is welded, will it wash it off after it is welded?

I have a used 250 gallon Jet fuel tip tank repair for a Lockheed T-33, material 3003-H14 x .060". The damage area is in the skin, between two bulkheads with baffles and 5 feet away from the closest opening, (tank size 30"dia x 14' long). How do I clean the flux off the inside of the tank? The tank will be filled with cold water to the top, and welded, this is how I have always done it with TIG and I'm still here. Will "cold water" wash off the flux on the inside, or should I do some thing else? I cant get to the area, to steam clean the inside and I cant heat 250 gallons of water. I can TIG weld it, the goal is to Gas weld it.

Will hot water, get all of the flux out of a hem or wired edge? I have an original 1937 De Havilland Tiger Moth cowls and in the corners, the aluminum was welded over the steel wire. I'm not worried about welding the material, but can I get the flux out from around the wire? De Havilland was worried about getting the airplane thru a war, not about the long term issues, 81 years later. The panels have so much corrosion now, it is hard to tell if it is a flux issue or old age issue.

I'm building more and more oil and fuel tanks for customers, + airframe components like in the post. I use a tea pot now, to wash off my small parts with hot water, I just didn't like the stainless brush. Will look into the steam cleaner as well.

I can test my theory's, or thought I would ask the questions.

Thank you for the response.

B

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.