View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 06:16 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Myres View Post
I think this is the best instructional post I have read on this site!

Cliffy you have a natural talent, not only with your hands, but also with the pen.

Fantastic work too by the way!

Cheers Charlie
You didn't have to be that kind, Charlie- you had me at "Cliffy"! Two old friends always call me Cliffy- especially when we were drunk...- and I hadn't been drinking with either of them for years. You really made me smile. Thanks, man.

I'm sure there are easier ways to do this work. I spent several hours today cutting a granite cross with my favorite 6 lb hammer, 4 lb handset and 2+ lb chisel. swinging a little metalwork hammer what weighs less than my chisel is not hard by comparison. Metal gives a lot easier than stone does, too. totally different feel and experience.

This project was an experiment to see what I (or others) could do with as few "big" tools/equipment as possible. My studio is well-equipped and supported. metal like this is still a hobby. my Hand Built EW from Peter is my only significant dedicated metal tool. Didn't really need the EW for this project and hoped by showing what I did & how that it might help others here accomplish more with less dedicated metal working machines.

carving stone/wood/etc means removing material. Clay sculpting/modeling means adding material. Metal work is simply moving the already-present surface into place. The minimalist approach, tools included, means a lot to me. Nothing like making your tools to use to make your work. Very cool stuff.

Just gotta get this one done to justify starting on my Guzzi Corsa project.....

Thanks again, guys.