View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 05:51 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

To have a flexible shape pattern you've first got to have a three-dimensional part, even if it is only made of Bondo. However, IF you do have an FSP it is much easier to shape the metal to fit "into" the FSP than it is to shape metal to fit "over" a solid buck. The reason is accessibility. An FSP allows 100% easy visual and tactile accessibility whereas other types of bucks allow much less.

Any yes, any good English wheeler will tell you go with the lowest crowned anvil that will possibly work. If you're making furrows you're probably TWO anvils too rounded for what you need. More passes, more overlap... the keys to the "chrome" finish that Wray, or any good wheeler, achieves.

Though the videos are good, I strongly recommend his classes. There are many good classes available in the U.S., but Wray's is the only one that I know of that gives you the necessary TIME to really hone your skills by trying, failing, and trying again. You work with him from 9am til midnight three days in a row... that's 45 HOURS of "hands on" instruction. I've found it enormously helpful. Another thing... he's got enough machines so that you don't have to wait your turn even when the classes are full.