View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 12:18 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mullin View Post
I have never experienced dirty acetylene. I have experienced dirty argon several times and it was a disaster. Is your filter specifically for acetylene? Once a bottle is contaminated, there is very little to be done to clean it. This is compounded by the fact that they usually do not mark a dirty bottle or pull it from service when it is returned.

A few years back there was a shortage of acetylene. Apparently, there are a limited number of manufacturing plants in the country. One of the big ones had an explosion and it was some time before they got back on line. I was told by my supplier that during that period, there was a cleanliness problem.
Hi Rick,
I have known about the dirty Ar for many years, back to early '90's.
Our filter is .1 micron catchable, but don't know what type of contaminants are prevalent. I'd be happy to test a known bottle of bad Ar, to see. Or loan a filter out to test on a known bottle of bad Ar. ...

About the time our big supplier took their lousy acet generation off line to replace it the shortage came up. I remember when mag went up, first the major US stockpile burned for two weeks and then one of the largest mfrs went up. Price went triple in months.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.