View Single Post
Old 11-19-2018, 08:36 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Sorry for the delay in posting pictures, but we have been VERY busy. Kent runs a very tight ship and an extensive learning environment. We have all stayed busy with actual training exercises, practice sessions alum with accompanying visual aids. Here are a few pictures in no particular order. Perhaps some more descriptions will be forthcoming.

Kent shared his experience in the recreation of the Howard Hughes H1 airplane build.
KentClassFri 001.jpg

We cut triangular witness openings in the paper patterns
KentClassFri 002.jpg

Kent sharing some basics about his planishing hammer before demonstrating the shrinking capabilities.
KentClassFri 008.jpg

A sample of aluminum brazing
KentClassMon 001.jpg

Kent was kind enough to upgrade my previous work at the corners of my speedster nose by increasing the thickness at the corners. They had been 'metal finished' to about .025 and he restored the thickness to the original .060"
KentClassMon 003.jpg

This tapered dollies was used in that project.
KentClassMon 005.jpg

View of back side of nose insert panel
KentClassMon 010.jpg

View of finished front side at corner
KentClassMon 011.jpg

These are examples of the die sets Kent has developed to be able to use this power hammer to shrink metal panels. I saw him raise a .060" panel to .078" in thickness. Shown are the die set of softer metals on the left and for use with harder panels on the right.
KentClassMon 015.jpg

Chris Mathews was quick to pick up on the flat panel aluminum welding process.
KentClassMon 016.jpg

Last edited by RockHillWill; 11-21-2018 at 06:34 AM.