View Single Post
Old 11-07-2018, 02:28 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Default the next step

Continuing onwards with my last pass of light corrective planishing and check filing -
P1010621.jpg
The worked area slowly spreads out across the panel....
P1010626.jpg
A very light sanding shows the surface more clearly ...
I have one or two weld bead sinks that could use a bit of fill, upper area. Gas welding avoids these sinks, completely. Having to weld both sides using the tiggy makes the sinks a predictable risk when trying to use minimal filler.
The dull contrasted surface in the 2nd photo now shows the unworked weld area very clearly. Remember that all of the welds were first dressed off and then hammered, so this remaining "lumpy-ness" is what the last pass is removing/smoothing. I left this area "down front" to be worked last so the contrast between "before and after" would be super clear and really evident!
(Note: this is a "paint-grade" finish, and is not for going to a polished finish.)

(In contrast - this is a typical gas weld, welded from one side and has been lightly planished with zero weld dressing (sanding/filing), below:
C195 Wheelpant back side, welds showing.jpg

top side, polished finish, below:
C195 wp done 3-4.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GT wh arch R.jpg (49.2 KB, 7 views)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.

Last edited by crystallographic; 11-07-2018 at 03:05 PM.