View Single Post
Old 07-19-2018, 03:16 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell84 View Post
I am still fighting with this door. I managed to get the large oil can out at the front of the door but am still fighting with some panel flexing in the center. I was able to remove the large oil can by stretching as close to contour as I could and using a MIG welding attachment to heat shrink little by little evenly around the oil canning are to firm up the panel.

The panel flexes between the center of the panel and the repaired area at the front. It flexes around an untouched area of metal with a brace behind it. The untouched area is obviously firmer and consistently stronger the the worked areas on either side.

It's pretty clear that especially in a low crowned panel having the correct shape gives it its strength, but it seems having the metal a consistent thickness is also part of it.

How do you even out the thickness of a worked area when it is close to the correct shape when you have stretched areas and shrunk areas? I have learned a lot working on this panel but I have considering replacing the whole doorskin. It would be a shame as repro doorskins are not great and I have a feeling I'm not that far off.

I have also consider shimming between the skin and the brace. The factory used foam, but only like one blob toward the bottom of the door.

Thanks again for the help.
James I would really like to help you out on this one, but unfortunally we are too far away ....... and over the NET it's hard to know the real problem.... or to show you how to fix it
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM