View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 12:33 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslav View Post
No one has an opinion?
Hi Jaro,
I was thinking of your part here, yesterday.
I have made some trim parts like this, over the years.
The way I would make this (and this is not an "experiment" to see how it will work) is to solder on fixture arms in 6 places, one at each end and two on the two long curves, so that the part is held in space with the hollow side up.
Then I would form a piece of solid round steel stock - or a few pieces that can weld together - so that you have a strong solid form to hammer over.
Then fixture that to the bench, in space, so that it will be hollow down.
Pattern the part for the blank / two blanks. Affix the cut blanks to the form with little screws - drill and tap small through the holes - holes can be closed after. I would use a 3x rivet gun to flow the blank over the form.
Use heat where the shrinks show as ruffles and they will go down smoothly. Steel blanks work well this way, and stainless. I would work a brass or copper part differently.
(Maybe this first post will trigger a whole avalanche of creative suggestions...)
.... Good luck and careful speeds.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.