View Single Post
Old 12-14-2014, 08:24 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct 2016, June 2020, April 2023

John and David, you guys point out a design consideration in my buck. When I started this project I had an experienced metalshaper who agreed to do the metal work. I was going to be the apprentice, learn and do some of the simpler panels. Before agreeing my friend told me that he wanting a wooden buck with 3" spacing on the ribs. That seemed excessive to me, however I felt I needed him to shape the difficult sections. I questioned him and got a stern reply, "if they get in the way we'll cut some out". So off I went and built it his way (sort of), he was expecting a traditional eggcrate. Can you imagine the struggle to see the backside? I could have built with larger spacing in areas with less shape change, but I didn't want to p..s him off. As you will see in the following posts, there are large cutouts per rib and the ability to rotate the buck nearly on its side allow fairly easy viewing. Now, I have done all the shaping and wish the spacing was at 4" and as is in shapely areas. Additional 1" would make it easier to get my hands in deep. This relatively tight spacing allows the inline sander to touch as many as 5 stations when doing the final blending of the ribs. Viewing really isn't much of an issue, just rotate the buck or use a flex mirror.

Last edited by Mike Motage; 02-05-2016 at 08:25 AM.