View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 12:44 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Over a period of 45 plus years I’ve picked up quite a few hammers at swap meets, garage sales and even bought a few new early on. As I’ve aged I find I like a heavier body hammer………. working under the theory of letting the heavier head do the work rather than me swinging from the roof. Below is a Sears hammer I bought in 71 or 72 compared to a similar Pexto hammer that the head weighs nearly twice as much to show my point. I kinda laugh at that Sears hammer today wondering how I straightened anything with it but compared to the 7 piece sets from Asia it’s actually a somewhat quality hammer. ~ John Buchtenkirch

P.S. Early on I used to break 2 or 4 hammer handles a year, now I only break one every 2 or 3 years. Don’t know if it’s because I’m weaker now or I’m finally hitting the metal correctly or a combination of both ??

Final P.S. If you don’t dress your hammer faces you’re just not in my league. Just remember every hammer edge mark you leave in the metal is actually a directional stretch, dress your hammers accordingly.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GRO.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GR.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GROU.JPG>>