View Single Post
Old 04-12-2018, 04:17 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Hi Ray
The rib on that hood is most of the strength.
Any lack of crown to the sheet on either side of the rib is secondary damage. The rib was overloaded to the point that it deformed. Now the low crown areas are not supported correctly which allows them to oil can.
I would flip the hood upside down, and support it around the edge, so the rib and low crown are not touching. Allow some space below them for the metal flex and for you to place toolset needed.
Get or make a wooden chisel out of hard wood. Shape it at the contact point so that it matches the shape of the creases on the inside of the rib. Kinda like a cold chisel but make it 2 1/2 to 3 inches across. Give it a slight crown from end to end and radius the corners to avoid tool marking.
I would use a ball been or dead blow hammer of about 1 pound. A normal body hammer will not be heavy enough.
Use the straight edge to find where the rib is bent. Work the crease at each side of the rib. A few inches either side of the most damaged area. Slide the chisel along as you strike it, liter strikes at the ends and heavier in the middle.

Go easy at first and check your results. If it isn’t moving then swing a little harder.
When you get the proper crown back in the rib I think the low crown areas will be strong again,

Steve