View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 03:13 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Hi Guy's sorry to keep the off topic bit going but i will shut up after this post . John I guess it's horse's for course's the pen looks neat i didn't see the little roller , i guess for me i would preffer to hold any filler in my fingers . As for the tacking this is just me but i guess i'm at the same sort of speed as you guy's my main thing is i like tacks to be just that , holding the two parts together but not that strong that if you have to break them that you do loads of damage to your two parts , as such i would normally go light on the current this also puts less heat in to start so less adjusting as you tack up . ~ Chris
> >
Chris, you are kinda of missing the point on the tig pen, I use it because I can then feed 2 to 4 foot lengths of slightly curved mig wire that I pirate from my mig welder. There are 2 advantages or reasons for doing this. Mig wire has the most cleaner in it so just a few drops kill any annoying pin holes that may pop up when I’m trying to run continues fusion welds. Also I can get mig wire in smaller diameters than tig wire so when I do add wire I have less bead build up and the smaller wire melts instantly. Ideally I would like to run a small consistent fusion weld that would planish out perfectly in one or two passes thru my CP pneumatic planishing hammer. In reality with starts & stops and adding wire for pin holes and less than perfect fits and my mistakes it’s never that perfect but I find the smaller mig wire helps me. It’s very hard to feed curved mig wire by hand at least for me.>>
As far as the tacks go that’s an American dime (17.5 mm in diameter) laying on the panel, not a silver dollar. If your tacks are much smaller please post some photos, I don’t claim to be the best tig welder in the group and am always willing to learn. Finally my tig welder doesn’t have a spot timer on it, i’m kind of timing it by banging down the foot pedal and instantly releasing it, the size of the HAZ around my tacks isn’t perfectly consistent but not horrible either. If you think it’s a big advantage I will look into the cost of adding one. Thanks ~ John Buchtenkirch >>
Name:  #1aw1.JPG
Views: 4081
Size:  44.7 KB