View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 07:25 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Post Front Clip Substructure (cont.)

More triangles added to the sub-structure.

My objective with this triangulation is to minimize the twist when the front clip is raised. The fuel fill will be under the front clip (i.e. not externally accessible), the front clip will be raised by a single person the majority of the time and thus a twisting motion will be placed on the front clip for every fuel fill. The front clip substructure is wide and fairly flat. So I’m trying to design the front clip substructure to be lifted with a minimum amount of twist being transmitted through to the skin.

Fabricating these triangulation members took quite a bit of time. Firstly because of the odd angles that were needed at each end and secondly because I had to make them twice. My first attempt was failed because the triangulation tubes came in contact with the upper chassis tubes prior to the front clip being completely raised. So I had many trips to the belt sander to fine tune the angled fit up by the time I had good pieces to weld in.

There’s now a whole ¼” of clearance as the front clip substructure is fully tilted up.