View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
Good point about the weight transfer Les.

The FWD 1 ton was one of the things I was wondering about in the original post. Can you elaborate on the in/out box? Is that something that is part of the setup or an add on? I don't really understand automatic trannys but would it 'hurt' the tranny to not use the rear component?
The in/out box that I mentioned would be an add on, basically a splined drive coupler on the rear output of the trucks transfer case. Some of the aftermarket transfer cases geared towards the rock crawling crowd already have this feature built in, that way they can switch from 4 wheel drive to rear wheel drive or front wheel drive. They use just the front drive to pull the front of the crawler around to one side or the other to help get around obstacles.

On most stock 4wheel drive x-fer cases you could just not connect a rear drive shaft and when shifted to 4 wheel drive you would have front wheel drive only, but by using a disconnect on the rear side of the x-fer case you could use the 2wd mode to drive an accessory, but it would have to be decoupled either manually or through a in/out box when traveling down the road, much like the cable or electrically operated PTO's that are used on trucks currently.

None of this applies to All wheel drive applications, because most all wheel drive transfer cases will fail if used continually to drive one axle, some will not drive at all unless connected to two axles.