View Single Post
Old 08-26-2018, 01:05 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGoLucky View Post
My machine is up and running.... minus the dies. Final tally out of pocket $100 since I found a cheap motor and utilized stuff I found sitting around. The most expensive stuff if bought would be the motor, the upper rod bearing... which actually could be different ( mine if bought new is $90, I got it off an old conveyor for almost nothing ) the other could be bought at fastenal for maybe ~$10.... the side plate material would be roughly $260 at my expensive supplier... cheaper at my best price steel supplier. Machine has a little bigger stroke around .160" because I wanted it to do more than just shrinking. The lift adjuster has ~.250" lift in 4 total stages... or 3 increments to bottom. More could be added once a full CAD design is put together... I did not have the room for more on mine... due to designing on the fly... anyways .250 is plenty for most things beading, etc. I will also note my sideplate design is similar to others already produced by metalmeet/allmetalshaping members... because they are proven sideplate designs.

Final time tally right now is 3 days under a full two weeks invested.... since I took a few days off the build waiting for stuff to show up via the Postal Service. If I had to expense my labor... machine time, etc.... and buy everything brand new to build the machine... I would say the machines are probably worth $4,000 - $5,000 finished.... more if you can actually make money with them and not just be a hobbyist.
do you have any pictures to post yet? i am interested in what you have put together. mine cost me $500aud buying everything new. i have a 5mm stroke and 50mm easy of adjustment in the lower tool holder with screw locks to hold it in position.

would be great to see your ideas come to life so to speak