View Single Post
Old 02-25-2016, 03:44 PM

Thanks Steve,

This is what I've assessed is the situation with scanning, the scan data is really just a template for someone very skilled at interpreting the mesh and who knows the software to a high degree and redraws the shapes.

The impression people get is that the scan is ready to slice and dice into an buck, it is possible, but the quality of examples I've been given don't give smooth accurate profiles, they need to be redrawn to get them right, as you said.

Learning Rhino or any other surfacing software to your level must take years, even if you use it everyday, very similar to learning to shape metal or weld.

I'm learning Rhino and learning the tools and procedures to accurately get the shapes you want is not easy, because you have to understand how surfaces are best drawn, if you get it wrong they never blend properly when you use the Zebra lines to analyse connecting surfaces. Plugins like TSplines help the less skilled operators create smooth shapes quicker, but you still really have to understand where you are going.

If you are paying someone to redraw a mesh, I'm sure it would cost quite a lot and rightly so in my opinion, as it's a real skill in its own right.

No matter how clever you think you are, stupidity is always one step ahead!!!!

Last edited by Maxakarudy; 02-26-2016 at 01:57 AM.