View Single Post
Old 06-25-2016, 02:06 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Turner View Post
Attachment 37760

Hi Guys, I'm doing a repair to the front end of a Ferrari 355. On the front wings, fenders to you American boys there are recesses for badges. The problem I have is that the new right hand wing does not have this recess.
I need a way to either stamp this in or I think it will have to be stamped into a piece of sheet metal then patched into the wing as the frame of the wing limits access on the rear.
Can anyone suggest how I would do this? I have the usual tools you would find in a body repair shop.

Scott
Yo Scotty,
I clean off the paint and take a top mould (UK for "mold") using "Devcon" liquid steel and the release agent, along with a tape dam. Sets up in 12hrs or so, then I reverse and make a tape dam and mould of the rear side. Fit the two together, minding the metal thickness (clearance) to get a nice squish when you hit it with the 5 ton (tonne) press.

Alignment is by using the the fastening holes, provided.....?

Quick,Dirty,Effective,Cheap,Handy,Accurate, by my experience.......
though failing the press I give it a good crack with a heavy hammer - never mind that the "die" goes away because it was Q&D to begin with...... ?

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.