View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 12:12 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2018, August 2021,November 2023

I just spent a fair amount of time adding this post, only to bump my keyboard when I was nearly done and lost the entire thing! Guess I'll do it all over again.

This post is about the connection of the front frame clip I built previously to the original frame and x-member.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  77.6 KB

With the body off, I had nice access to the complete frame to perform the necessary work.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  75.3 KB

I'm cleaning up the x-member where the original inner rails attached. Also there were some misc. holes and stampings that I wouldn't need now.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  77.7 KB

Both sides of the x-members are filled in and a nice clean start to graft the new frame rails to. Also, for no reason except uniformity, I drilled a couple of the missing "lightening holes" on the driver's side patch to mirror the passenger side.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  75.9 KB

These are the kick up portions (both driver and passenger side) I'm adding a filler wedge on the bottom to transition from the 2x4 rail of the front clip I built to the original 6"?? height of the x-member.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  76.9 KB

Here are the pair of kick ups. You'll notice I added a filler wedge under each section so the 4" to 6" transition wasn't so abrupt. The angle cut on each end is the angle that it will butt up to the x-member at.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  76.5 KB

The kick up sections are temporarily tacked together and set into position to see how the match up to the front frame clip (properly located and actually welded to supports on the rack so it wouldn't move during this process) and the fit at the x-member.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  76.9 KB

This angle of the kick up shows how it transitions and butts up to the x-member (basically just like the original design) Though here it's with a rectangular tube section instead of a "C" rail

Then angle iron tack welded to it was just to align the tops and to help clamp it into place.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  75.9 KB

With the kick up figured out, it was now time to figure out the connection of the outer frame rail portion. I picked the best place to trim the original off (didn't interfere with the body mount and it was in a flat straight section of the rail)

With it trimmed, I fit a new section of 2x4 in place. The yellow tape shows how I'll have to transition it into the taller original rail also.

As a note: The original "stub" of outer rail was plated / boxed from the x-member and overlapped (fish plate) onto the new 2x4 spliced rail section.

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  77.0 KB

Different view of the outer rail section. Lots of odd angles to cut and trim for a decent fit to the frame clip section.

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  71.1 KB

A picture of the original front frame horn section. The taper on the top was to give clearance for the front sheet metal, etc.

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  73.5 KB

A new section of 2x4 rail was made to duplicate the same basic shape of the original horn. Threaded bosses for the bumper bolts were welded into position as well.

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  74.1 KB

This picture shows two different things:

1. The front frame horn section is bolted in place on the temporary stanchions I located off the original frame / front bumper mounts.

2. The outer rail section had the bottom wedge added to and the transition / blend into the original outer rail is underway.

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  77.1 KB

Here the front frame clip modifications are basically complete, minus full welding.

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  76.6 KB

This view from the front and above shows how I added a "joggle" near the front to transition from the width I wanted in the suspension section of the frame clip vs. the location of the front bumper / frame horn section.

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  77.1 KB

One more view from a different angle

Dane