Thread: making a bowl
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2020, 10:47 AM

Default bowls

Jacob and I have made some bowls and taught novices how to make bowls. Sun,n,Fun Flyi-in Metalshapers Workshop for a week a bunch of years . At twenty to thirty minutes- they were done and out of the tent with their freshly made bowl and a smile on their face.
In the early years, we used tucking forks and that didn't really go well. You could see the vacant glazed look on your student face as you tried to explain the process. I hated tucking forks with a passion. Richard Crees "RodDoc" posted a video on stump shrinking. That was life changing to me. I started checking the woods on my walk looking for the right piece of oak to make a stump for Sun,n,Fun. That is when I got the thought of the possibility of using a piece of UHMW instead. I was short on space in my truck as I was taking a pair of power hammers to test for a local fabricator here in Ocala.

That was the birth of the TuckPuck. Do a google search of TuckPuck and you will find four instructional videos that may be a help to you.

Unfortunately, the US postal service raised the rates from $11 to over $30 and killed my International sales. I am not trying to sell here, just making you aware of the videos.

By the way, start with something small . 7-8 inch diameter to get the hang of it. Larger diameters become more difficult. Aluminum if you have some.

TuckPuck® Metal Shaping Tools
www.tuckpuck.com

Last edited by mr.c; 05-26-2020 at 11:15 AM. Reason: post script