Thread: C5 gto
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 03:04 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Default Engine Compartment

There just seems to be an endless stream of things to figure out and solve when you’re hand building a car from scratch. I’m at the stage of paneling in the engine compartment which has also prompted me to figure out and run plumbing lines. While I’ve tried to keep the car simple, I have added a couple of options that involve quite a bit of plumbing: inter-cooled supercharger and air conditioning. Each of these has its own radiator and tubes that need to be run up to the front of car.

First, I filled in the engine compartment side area behind the suspension with a piece of anodized sheet. It doesn’t look like much but took a couple of hours as I had to raise a section for engine coolant pipe mount and cut a slot for brake line to pass through.

Next, were two pieces that fill in above it up to the hood opening in the body. These were complicated due to inter-cooler coolant line that had to pass through, shape that had to be put in with a tipping wheel, and edges that had to “surround” chassis tubes. There’s also another mount for engine coolant pipe that pokes through the middle of the panel. I had to trial fit and trim these panels about a dozen times before they fit right.

I haven’t pulled off the protective plastic yet, but it’s certainly starting to look more like an engine compartment. Now for the drivers side…