View Single Post
Old 06-03-2017, 11:19 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by longyard View Post
Wm,
This reveal line is not flowing as per Touring factory manufacture, seeing as that hiccups back there.

I was able to solve nearly all of their moves on the Touring metalwork- even when it took me some months of casual scrutiny.

Welds are where you expect and sometimes they are not. And then again, welds can be hidden so well that it takes a magnifier, a mirror and bright intense light to find them. By way of confirmation I duplicated the parts using their methods.

I've restored a lot of cars, Eropean and domestic, including one-offs, prototypes, and very limited production. The 1908 Petit Pur Sang was interesting, along with tearing down a Royale and inspecting a Type 50, closely. The McClure Halley car was a "wow." The Alfa 2.3MM, the J-120 .... The GTL s/n 0001 - more education . All different styles, different types of metalwork .... amazing skill and craftsmanship.

I enjoy opening up an original car and finding the clues to its manufacture. I also enjoy seeing the many variations in metal parts creation.

I think of all the cars I have restored, helped restore, or provided sections for and the one that had the most detail in the metal and the most overall accuracy and the most refinement in the design and execution ..... was the Touring Barchetta. Aston Superleggeras are close seconds, very close - but lack that delicate detail.

I spoke to Anderloni about this Barchetta delicate accuracy and detail one time, at Monterey Historics, and he agreed with me on this. But one should remember that the competition Barchettas were upholstered in metal, while the street cars were done in leather and carpet.
Name:  TMTECH 26 copy.jpg
Views: 1450
Size:  87.0 KB

The comp cars had the detail on display.
Name:  TMTECH 24 copy.jpg
Views: 1358
Size:  83.2 KB
s/n 0010, Jim Kimberly's car.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.