View Single Post
Old 09-08-2019, 08:57 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2015

I think I'd make a hammer form from steel rod. From the picture it looks like the rod would have to be around 25mm diameter, give or take so it will require heat to bend around the small end radii. Weld the free ends together then 3 point bend the large radius with a press of some type, inch along a little at a time. Then weld some long steel tabs to the back of the form so that it can be held in a vice.

Cut your sheet metal blank and clamp it to the form in the center and begin to hammer it over the rod with plastic, wood or rawhide. The tricky part will then be to form the little inside flange. This can be done with a short section, male and female D shaped die that defines the inner and outer shape of a section of the trim. Assemble the die pieces into the blank and camp it together with a "cowboy" vice grip. Now, with a soft punch, form the short flanges over the D shaped die. Inch it along and repeat. That should work to some degree. Solder the tabs on with soft silver solder, about 400 degrees F.

I need to make a headlight eyebrow trim piece for a '58 Buick and this is how I plan to do it.

Don't believe everything you think.