View Single Post
Old 06-24-2018, 10:24 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Post Body design underway

I decided it was time to learn how to use Adobe Photoshop so I could create some visuals to prove out the look on the plus sized Miura body. I took a couple of days to go through a bunch of online tutorials and practice with throw away stuff so I could overcome some Photoshop roadblocks that had turned me away before. I also want to thank Superleggera (Mark of modenawest.com fame) for giving me some tips and tricks for using Photoshop for digital restyling of automobiles. I’m nowhere close to being in Mark’s league yet but I’m now able to do some basics.

One thing I’m trying to visualize is what my Miura will look like if a C4 Corvette windshield is used. So I took a stab at changing out the windshield with no other body modifications. The net result is that the windshield posts need to angle further forward as the C4 glass doesn’t wrap on the sides as far as Miura windshield. It changes the look some but not dramatically.

My next step was to do a front quarter view where the windshield is more visible. For this picture, I also widened the body below the windows and raised/arched the cockpit roof some. With these multiple changes, the windshield change doesn’t seem to stand out at all.

Next, I wanted to do front and rear views with objective to make sure the widening only beneath the beltline would have a good look. For the front view, the widening is proportional across the whole front clip. For the rear view, the widening is only outside of the louvers and trunk lid, so not proportional across the rear clip. I did this to accentuate the wider fenders and thus visually widen the stance.

And for the side perspective, I think Superleggera (Mark of modenawest.com) nailed it with his Miura stretch rendition. So I’ll go with that for now and want to give Mark full credit for his work. Note: This doesn't include the windshield change but as the other side view shows that change is subtle in the overall picture.

All in all, I’m satisfied with what I’m seeing. It still looks like a Miura SV but with some subtle changes. At 15 feet, I’m guessing very few people could pick out the differences if this car wasn’t parked right next to an original.
So question out to you auto body design experts, what other perspectives or views do you find to be most helpful in highlighting visual design issues? I’d really like to surface and resolve the visual design issues when they’re just pixels versus when they are already in aluminum sheet.