View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 09:22 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Hamilton View Post
Peter if you intend to try this year, now would be the time to start the process. From what I can tell certain business related Visa's are limited. Sort of a first come first serve basis. Perhaps that's why you had issues. Also many categories of Business Visa's require Post Secondary Education (College or University). Why I don't know but if you do not have a degree then certain categories are automatically excluded from your eligibility.

From what I can tell here are the categories you may qualify for.

H-2B: Temporary Non-agricultural Worker
For temporary or seasonal non- agricultural work. Limited to citizens or nationals of designated countries, with limited exceptions, if determined to be in the United States interest.

O: Individual with Extraordinary Ability or Achievement
For persons with extraordinary ability or achievement in the sciences, arts, education, business, athletics, or extraordinary recognized achievements in the motion picture and television fields, demonstrated by sustained national or international acclaim, to work in their field of expertise. Includes persons providing essential services in support of the above individual.

P-3: Artist or Entertainer (Individual or Group)
To perform, teach or coach under a program that is culturally unique or a traditional ethnic, folk, cultural, musical, theatrical, or artistic performance or presentation. Includes persons providing essential services in support of the above individual.

I think you could make a case for all three although I think Category O would be tough.
P-3 would be a real possibility if you present what you do a preserving traditions and as an art form in and of itself.

If you intend to try this year now is the time to apply as like I stated above many of the Temp worker categories are limited and the longer you wait the less likely you are to get one.
Hi Chris, thanks for that info. We have previously employed a US Attorney
regarding the Visa and her advice was to apply for a B1B2 visa which means
you can only attend the States to promote your business and demonstrate
your metalshaping tools. She said there is no way they would let you work
there and receive money, only if some company will sponsor you. In 2016 I was granted a visa but when I applied last year for the same visa they
required sworn statements as to what I was doing in the States and names and information of the people I would be seeing etc. As it was to be a sworn
statement if I was found to be doing the wrong thing I could be prosecuted.
Unfortunately in this trade it is basically reliant on years of experience and your reputation, there is only a certificate from the Australian Government to say you completed an apprenticeship at the beginning of your career.
This tightening up of regulations appears to have come in when Trump became President, so I am hoping if this changes in the future it may be easier to get a Visa. I will keep trying but there are no guarantees.
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM