View Single Post
Old 12-17-2014, 12:45 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Mike, take a look at the buck in this video. I am certain that as soon as they learn to make a buck that is not like yours they will amount to something.. Clearly they need to learn how to make a more efficient buck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51eXvmL8bZY

I sent a day with Mike earlier this year and would be comfortable saying that he is a very capable young man. He only lives about an hour from you. Mike also use a FULL and SOLID full body buck for some Porsche's that he is making several of. Mikes opinion of buck design may differ from some of us here on this site.

I am seeing Pers' viewpoint as well. By making additional pieces, it gives you a clearer understanding of the flow before you actually start on the forming of the panels, and as I learned from my only moderate bucks, the more stations that are there you take fewer shortcuts in the forming and you have the stability to gently use the hammer to make some of the finish forming. I found that strategic locations of the stations worked well for holding the panels in alignment for welding as well. On a buck of this size, it would be my thinking that to get around or inside to look at the fit from the back side would always require another person to hold the panel while you looked.

I would add that my perspective is from a part-time/amateur/hobby viewpoint, so a 'money-making' guy may have a different perspective.