View Single Post
Old 12-24-2014, 07:13 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

I would like to add my perspective here, and agree with those that recommend some sort of a reference table. From years of experience with chassis and body building I found that not only a flat surface is a great tool, but a torsionally rigid table is even better because I finally figured out that all that unsupported work will distort the body from the welding, if it is not clamped minimally to the table as well. I know this is not what you want to hear because it adds work, but I agree with Steve that it will save time in the long run. It does not have to protrude from out under the entire car (saving shop space), but just enough support under the major under panels will be of great help. The fixture can also be used in subsequent work as well, and mounting on wheels makes it able to be rolled outside the shop when not in use (or to sandblast). Using wide flange I-beam for the mounting surface and tubular supports and braces will make a rather inexpensive and easily welded sufficient structure. It is just my opinion that this is relatively inexpensive approach that is minimal in its time consumption. PM me if you think I might be able to help in any way.