View Single Post
Old 04-10-2018, 09:59 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2018, August 2021,November 2023

John, thanks for your explanation on your shrinking method. That certainly makes sense to me.

The past couple days have been spent removing some of the remaining components in the dash (speedo and steering wheel and column) I also unbolted the front fenders, hood, and grille / front panel and set them aside in preparation for gutting the uni-body out of the car! Basically I want is the roof, door openings (A & B posts), rockers, exterior quarter skins, rear body / tail light panel and dash for the most part. Everything else must go so I can fabricate fresh to fit our needs and desires.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2972
Size:  79.1 KB

With the doors and all the front exterior sheet metal removed, you can see the uni-body construction remains.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2213
Size:  79.1 KB

A view from the front showing the under structure.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1962
Size:  79.0 KB

Here I've begun cutting off the passenger front "snout"

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1802
Size:  77.5 KB

Here the full front clip has been cut free.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1907
Size:  77.7 KB

In order to gain some room to work, I cut the middle of the main floor out. No actual structure was removed yet. The sub-rails along the rockers are still there as well as the cross member brace.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 1847
Size:  77.2 KB

The same was done in the trunk. Just the sheet metal, the sub-rail structure is left along for now.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1833
Size:  77.0 KB

Once I had the floors cut away I was able to gain better access to add the temporary bracing inside to hold the body in alignment. After the bracing was added it was safe to start removing the actual uni-body "structure" this included the cowl / firewall and the sub-rails along the rocker panels.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 1867
Size:  76.9 KB

A view in the door. I'm still working my way back and need to remove the rear inner quarters and wheel wells as well as the rear sub-rails yet.

Currently everything was rough cut out with the torch & plasma. I will now get ready to carefully disassemble back to the necessary seams or joints (drilling out spot welds, etc.)

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 1810
Size:  77.9 KB

The growing pile of scrap!

Dane