View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 09:56 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by longyard View Post
Hi all,

I've embarked on a project to build a replica of a 1948-52 Ferrari 166. This was one of the most influential car designs of all time.

I used a laser scan of a real 166 to pull stations off of it every 4 inches. I used those files to order a laser cutting shop to blast out 36 buck stations using 1/2" blondwood plywood.

The biggest problem I've faced so far is how to form the "V" bodyline that runs along the side of the car. I've asked many people in the US and Italy, but although I've gotten suggestions, all of them seem unsatisfactory. Do you know how it was done?

My plan is to build it out of .063 (1.5mm) instead of the original .050 (1.2mm) aluminum.
Hi Wm,
The Touring Barchettas I am familiar with (004, 008, 010, and a later one that was really rough when I went to look at bringing it back) used .040 aluminum, and not .050. I'm thinking there were variations per customer ....?

The #22 car you show here, s/n 008, I believe?, was once owned by Tom Perkins. Tom asked me to restore it for him while I was doing s/n 010. I could not fit him in my shop as fast as he wanted (Year of Ferrari at Laguna and the first Int'l Ferrari concours coming up and all that) ... so Tom sent the car to Italy and had it rebodied, so the #22 car body is not "real." The rebody was a big secret of course, so when Bob Lee acquired it for his extensive collection in Reno, NV it was as an "original," and not as a "replica body." I believe that replica body is .050 thickness....?

As for your query about the lip/belt line on these cars, I'm no expert on this Touring body thing, but I have researched a few while working on a couple of them - the marks I saw on this car, s/n 010 ....
Name:  166Barchetta  #0010.jpg
Views: 4516
Size:  23.5 KB
were made by a male/female rolling die machine of some sort, and match marks on other original bodies.

Your progress will be very informative and will make a good study. You will have a very nice sporty car when done.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.

Last edited by crystallographic; 05-26-2017 at 09:59 PM.