View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 07:46 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Default T57 Bugatti Chassis Development

Been working on customer 'stuff' and progress has been slower than anticipated. Compounded by the change in direction from the XK140 Chassis to a hybrid design that will incorporate the XK140 rear suspension layout coupled with a stock car style front suspension and an intermediate section made from scratch to accommodate the long wheelbase and an attempt to control chassis flex from that long wheelbase and the narrow track.

This is the original scan made by University of Pennsylvania Professor Scott White and I accumulated at Jim Hery's shop in Tennessee.
Name:  WT57_body.jpg
Views: 4535
Size:  23.9 KB

This is the very nice work done by Scott in 'finishing' out the full body scan. Some sections have been 'turned off; to make seeing some pars of the drawings.
Scott and I have shared the World Coordinate Systems on each of the drawings that we each do to facilitate coordinating the insertion of components into each others drawings.. The planes shown in this photo are indicating the ground, the centerline of the body and the center of the radiator cap in the grill shell which is where I took the Bugatti measurements from. For me, it was a 'bitch' to keep adjusting these planes in each drawing and it took me some time to figure this out. I suspect that I am approaching the limit of my capabilities in getting some of this 'triangular' info from either the Creoform or the Artec scanners to function easily in the 'rectangular' CAD programs. Steve (ToreadoreXLT) has been quite helpful to me in this regard.
Name:  T57_IGES3Planes_01.jpg
Views: 4724
Size:  31.6 KB

This photo shows the problems that were inherent in my first choice of a front suspension. There were issues with front rack and pinion and frame interference with the XK front frame section.
Name:  T57_body_03a.jpg
Views: 4519
Size:  33.7 KB

These next drawings were made after completion of the drawing of the Jag in line DOC with 4-speed tranny, aligning it with the crank hole, etc.
Again some of the panels that Scott made are not shown for clarity in review. It looks like there will be sufficient ground clearance, driveshaft angle and 'bump' clearances.
Name:  3Quarter.jpg
Views: 4639
Size:  51.7 KB

The crank height and the body angle are the same as the Original Type 57.
Name:  DrSide.jpg
Views: 4542
Size:  27.1 KB

Name:  CrankAlign.jpg
Views: 4634
Size:  43.5 KB

A lot of hours measuring, layout and drawing to get the motor dimensions required to insert into the 3D layout, but I am done with the exception of the intake system. I fully understand that this in not a 'detailed' drawing of the Jag motor, but is very dimensionally accurate regarding motor mount positions, heights, widths etc. that are of a concern for developing the chassis. As I mentioned earlier, I have no intake manifold to measure at the present time. I am currently looking for a 'cheap' intake unit that is for the 3-carb setup, but would consider a two carb unit if cheap enough. It only has to take up space and have enough 'stuff' there to be able to measure it for drawing purposes.

Name:  4.2BlockAssy.jpg
Views: 4560
Size:  71.4 KB

Name:  4.2BlockAssy2.jpg
Views: 4512
Size:  73.9 KB

Name:  4.2BlockAssy4.jpg
Views: 4427
Size:  56.8 KB

Name:  4.2BlockAssy7.jpg
Views: 4553
Size:  57.9 KB

Name:  4.2BlockAssy8.jpg
Views: 4306
Size:  40.1 KB

Name:  4.2BlockAssy9.jpg
Views: 4562
Size:  50.7 KB

Last edited by RockHillWill; 05-11-2017 at 01:54 PM.