View Single Post
Old 09-04-2018, 08:49 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint Relic View Post
This is something I have been wondering about, how good is good? I have mostly only seen other peoples metal work in pictures, and they look great. In pictures of my own stuff it looks good, but when I actually look and feel of it in real life it would be good enough for paint but I would not think it would be good enough to polish. I like working with aluminum and my racecar past almost always make me choose to use light (.040) which makes me ask, can you use to thin of metal for a part with lots of shape because lack of thickness for filing versus trying bring every low and high into compliance? Couple of pics visual confusions for me.
First picture before "finishing"
Attachment 48660
After
Attachment 48661
Parts prepared to the degree of perfection required for polishing or chroming always require extra hours of tedious work compared to painted parts. I’d say it’s sage advice to start out with one or two gauges thicker material on parts to be polished…….. once a professional polisher hits it with his polishing belt there is going to be material removed, it’s just part of the process. I prep some parts for a local chrome shop and if it wasn’t for the fact that the owner is a ski buddy I’d pass on that work, it’s just too tedious . ~ John Buchtenkirch