View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 07:45 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2019

Hate to say this, but I was asked to weld a pair of 7075 skins for a restoration project a few years back and I glued them back together using strips of native material harvested from an unseen joggled edge as filler with no difficulty at all.
It was given a good annealing and furnace cool at the heat-treatment plant to take it to T-0 and beyond first to maximise the available elongation.
I brought it up to temp with a torch before starting as a precaution and gave it a little post-heat too and it welded perfectly. No cracking whatsoever.
Just to be extra sure, I then twice stretched the welds with hammer and dolly then heat-shrunk them back gain to make the weld homogenous with the native material (that works brilliantly) then off it went for heat treatment back to the condition we found it in and has never ailed a thing to this day. I guess if it was a process for new aircraft or nuclear subs it would need a little more consideration but it certainly welds easily enough without cracking if you want it to.

Will

Ooh! And I just noticed that it automatically says MetalShaper of the Month. Cheers for that. Cool.

William Pointer