Thread: C5 gto
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 04:19 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Default Heat control

Thanks for the spirited discussion on the topic. I'm learning lot's of good stuff.

A suggestion that's part of the solution is to get a fresh air supply/flow to the tunnel area to carry away heat that does escape the pipes. I think I'm in luck here with a fresh air scoop and location that's fairly unique to the Ferrari GTO. Here's a couple of GTO pictures from my archives.

These are located at the back corners of the hood/bonnet. On the original GTO they have ducting under the hood directing the air into the cars interior. I'm guessing they were required because the cars interior became hot (thus driver uncomfortable) due to the same heat control issue under discussion. I'm guessing they have screens on them so that bugs (bees/hornets would be the worst) aren't rocketed into the interior only to be shot at the occupants.

I won't need them for interior air as I'm equipping the C5 GTO with air conditioning. On my car I can build some duct work that would direct the fresh air down the tunnel and across whatever heat shielding I can put in place. I will likely not put screens under the scoops as screens might reduce airflow.

On the subject of heat shielding, I'm guessing I won't have much choice of where to locate it and how to hang it. There just isn't much room in the tunnel given it has a 6 inch torque tube, shifter and linkage, 2 decent sized mufflers, and 2.5 inch exhaust pipes all located in it. My take away from the earlier posts is that the heat shielding should be made from stainless as long as it has an air gap between it and the aluminum. It sounds like my best bet would be to hang the shielding on the torque tube (I think they might have done this on the C5 Corvette) if I can.

I hadn't planned on this before but now I'm thinking I should put heat shielding between the exhaust pipes and the transaxle. I do know that heat is the enemy of gearboxes.