View Single Post
Old 07-11-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gardiner View Post
Barry I have nothing against lightweight torches this is a different thing to a jewellers torch. I can't see the sense in using a jewellers torch, especially if it needs specially modified tips to make it work with sheet metal. As far as I can ascertain the equivalent to the number five tip I use for welding 1.5mm aluminium for a meco midget torch is a number 7 tip. This is the largest tip listed. It's never a good idea to use anything flat out at full capacity in my experience.

The reflected heat from welding with a large tip will tend to make the torch hot. I never have to cool my tips. I have done it on the lightweight tips. You can dunk the tip in water with the oxygen turned on slightly.

I will put more information in my thread on gas welding equipment soon but there is a difference between being comfortable when welding and using the tiniest torch you can find.

I do not sell torches or any tools for that matter so I don't have a vested interest in any particular type of torch. My intention is only to help people make informed decisions.

David

A #7 tip,should weld .250" aluminum.