View Single Post
Old 08-19-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisrain View Post
Chris Rusche, who designed the Baleigh power hammers, is a pretty accomplished metal shaper, and his designs have a lot of input from Mark Gerisch, who is a master.

The machines change from power hammer to reciprocating hammer very quickly by simply sliding a pin in and out. Dies are also changed quickly with a couple pins.

Are they worth $30-$50K? That's up to the purchaser, I suppose. If I were a pro, I certainly would consider it. I know it's heresy to some, but from the limited time I've used both, and coming at it from a unbiased position, they're WAY more convenient than a legacy machine like a Yoder or a Pettingell. Die changes are a breeze, and the hit and stroke can be dialed in in seconds without any tools. I think the reason people who own them also have a Pullmax is one time and efficiency, but also the throat depth on the Pullmax.

Not everyone has the time, ability, or desire to build their own machines. If shaping metal is your business, it's probably not worth your time to spend 2-6 weeks building and dialing your machines in. I'm pretty sure Baleigh has nice financing options and they're a great write off on your taxes.

I'm not saying they are a bad design... I think the machines are nice.... just not for the money.... and they are too complex for the trade. Too many moving parts, etc. If tax write offs are the only reason to be buying an expensive machine... as some have noted... I think that is a bad deal to begin with..... As far as convenience... convenience itself is part of the monetary equation and far too many people forget that maybe because of financing etc.

Keeping it affordable for the less fortunate amongst us is my goal.... and nowhere in that equation is a Baileigh Machine... because even their cheapest machines are too expensive for most. I'd rather have a shop full of Metalmeet, or allmetalshaping builders home built machines... than one single overpriced one... that is just my point of view.

Success is never easy.

Last edited by HappyGoLucky; 08-19-2018 at 10:17 PM.