View Single Post
Old 11-12-2016, 10:41 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

I got all six stations fair and and beveled the edges and they look good. It was a more difficult task to make them for a modified panel than it would have been to make an exact duplicate of the original. Some areas on the rear stations beginning with #4 are "created". Drawn out freehand and cut to shape. As I progressed with #5 and #6 I found that flow wasn't what I wanted. I had to scrap #5 and start over. I missed on #6 also but I was high so I could save it by sanding off the extra material.

Name:  549.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  66.8 KB

I check the shape with a piece of plastic 1/4 round base molding used for home trim work. I prefer it to the wood lattice strips because it's a little heavier and will sag across the stations under its own weight. Another plus is that since it's plastic, its rigidity , or lack of it, is consistent through its length. With the wood lattice strips, if the grain of the wood crosses through where it was cut there will be a slight difference in density and strength in that area and it won't flex as much as the rest of it will. It might seem like splitting hairs here but if you are spending all this time trying to get it right and your gaging tools are faulty, you will be fine tuning your buck to a flawed shape and you'll have problems when you start checking your panels against it. You don't need expensive sweeps if you can't justify the time and expense but you need to be careful about alternative measures.

Name:  551.jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  69.5 KB

I also started making the partial stations at the rear. There will be a tail light inset along the upper half of the rear edge and the bumper will wrap around the side along the lower half. There will be about a 4" area between the two that will be sheet metal. I'm going to shape this panel fully in steel then cut out the tail light and bumper area. I'll use the area that I cut out for the tail light to make a mold for the tail light lense.

Name:  552.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  69.4 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.

Last edited by Jack 1957; 11-12-2016 at 11:00 PM.