All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   Events (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Kent's metal camp (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=17277)

crystallographic 11-01-2017 01:23 AM

Kent's metal camp

8 Attachment(s)
Last Fri-Sun had 8 guys here with their focus on air hammering shapes.

I welcomed them to use my "Punishing Hammers" since four were up and ready to go: Mod's 2000, 3000, 3500 and 4000, with 6 motors in sizes #0,1,2,3,4,5 ... #6 (monster motor) was not set up for this class.

Attachment 43851
Eldon Watson - 2nd gen bodyman, son is bodyman. Focus on reverses and helix and double compounds. Always asks the keen insightful questions. Photo-realistic airbrush artist - attends the competitions / top demos. Fine craftsman.

Attachment 43852
Donnie Wanner, 30yr craftsman doing resto and kustoms. Started art metal art studio. Focus on conic reverses and re-shaping VW rear lid to eliminate lic.plate area, smooth. Does patina on art-cut stainless to simulate wood grain, marble, granite, etc for tree, waterfall, howling wolf/bear waterfall / bridge scenes. Real talent.

Attachment 43853
Nick operates a long-time heavy fab shop in Kenai, AK. "Always doing something I've never done before." ... at age 70. Welds 7075 on log truck frames - after talking with ALCOA. Oil field stuff, gen'l fab, boats... Accurate, funny and thoughtful. Focus on expanding APH repertoir.

Attachment 43854
Jackie is old friend of Nick's. Has restored two M37's, and currently owns a mil 4X6 (the rascal.) Shaping fish, cars and boats.

(My old Dodge M37 arrived Sun 5AM, and he spotted it outside our shipping dock - "Hey, where'd that M37 come from???" Surprised me -1) I never heard the delivery myself - and 2) he knew what it was and all about it ... It fired right up so I drove it over to parking and shut it off. (Everybody really likes that old '53 mil Power Wagon ... !!!)

So we all banged away on shapes.

Attachment 43855
The fishing was good. Textured + shape at the same time.
Mild steel, 20ga.
Attachment 43856
Radius bending, flowing the shape in curves, planishing.
3003 .063
Attachment 43857
Shaped smoothly then planished a bit.
Mild steel, 20ga.
Attachment 43858
End of Metal Camp: swapping contacts, sharing some yarn. (Several were re-visitors and several have had their APH's for many years.

The VW lid got re-shaped nicely, but no film or pix, that I know of.
After shoving the surface down, shrinking it and shaping it smooth I used Eldon's can of Quick Check and liked it. No reducer stink or residue.

Everyone graduated .... another metal camp. ;)

Steve Hamilton 11-01-2017 09:27 AM

Looks to be a fun and interesting group of shapers!

Thanks for sharing their projects with us!

Steve

toreadorxlt 11-01-2017 10:32 AM

very cool, wish i was there!

crystallographic 11-03-2017 09:45 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks, you guys.

Steve, I wish you were here, too!

Here are some more images of the stuff these rascals whacked out --

Attachment 43893
Bowl shapes: .035 copper, stretched, shrunk, planished and polished - no sanding/filing ...
.050 3003, rough stretched, edge shrunk, flange turned out, planished, rubbed with scuffy-pad - no "real" metal finishing.
.050 3003, conic bowl - started as std bowl, then shrunk and stretched into conic, until thickness at center was no more ....

Attachment 43894
Reverse shape demo, using urethane soft shaping upper die and full radius lower ... smoothed with Non-Rotating reverse planishing die set. Hard buck/mockup is accurate to 1938 Waco gearleg fillet/fairing.

Attachment 43895
Small demo (left) introduced shrink/stretch/reverse dies and methods of use, 3003 .050.
Large demo is Max, the compound reverse shape in 3003 (annealed twice), taken from .063 down to .017.
Four equal sides started at 14 inches ea and grew to 23 inches, total length per edge - as thickness went down to .017".
The four corners touch on this one ....

... and I think these are all of the photos I got from this group, so far.

RockHillWill 11-03-2017 06:29 PM

Way cool 'stuff'. It would be nice if we could all live in proximity to each other to have access to such talent. Thanks for posting Kent. I always learn something.

racer-john 11-03-2017 08:44 PM

Kent's metal camp

Nice work by all he boys. Wish I could be there but...
Please educate me, what is APH?

crystallographic 11-04-2017 12:46 AM

APH education

13 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by racer-john (Post 140863)
Nice work by all he boys. Wish I could be there but...
Please educate me, what is APH?

Air Power Hammer
(or, since it looks like one - an Air "Punishing" Hammer ... :rolleyes:)

It was first clobbered together in 1987 with a 9x rivet gun, a 27lb CP yoke, and three CP planishing lower dies, using a large .498 flush rivet set upper die. I needed this contraption to make up a missing 1914 Mercedes fully-crowned rear fender, of 18 ga steel -very accurately, for a significant collector of "Edwardian autos."

It worked so well at shaping steel that I kept refining it and first introduced it publicly in April, 1995 at a major FL Fly-in, during Daytona Bike Week and Spring Break. And magically, 6 months after that, Harbor Fright suddenly offered their $149. "rivet gun planishing hammer" ... the first of thousands of rivet gun/panel ripper/air chisel/needle scaler - type benchtop lightweight metal buzzers sold nationally since then.....

Our current models, #2000, #3500 and #4000:
Attachment 43903
Sometimes I have 3 machines set up when I am making production parts:
Attachment 43904
because I set each machine for a given power and function: heavy stretching, shrinking, planishing - for instance, to save 25seconds per die change, or 40 seconds for each motor change (total one minute x 30 changes in 3 hours + loss of easy personal flow with the metal).

One early automotive aluminum damage repair job I did with this Hammer was this Aston DB4 (total, frame bent):
Attachment 43905
Attachment 43906
Attachment 43907
Attachment 43908
Attachment 43909
Attachment 43910
Very little sanding and No filler needed ...

One of my students made this public SkyWall art in San Antonio using our model #2000:
Attachment 43911
Attachment 43912
Attachment 43913
Attachment 43914
Attachment 43915
.050 5052 H32
He could make one panel in 3 minutes, but then it was the only machine he used for shaping this Wall...

I've done a lot of work with the APH, and others have too. :)
I've posted some projects up on the TM Tech website that reflects the overall performance of this metal shaping/repairing machine ....

hope this helps ...

RockHillWill 11-04-2017 05:22 AM

Once more, I am more impressed Kent. It is evident that you have amassed a lifetime of experience, coupled with a gift of intellect, and I for one appreciate your taking the time to share. I know for a fact that Jim Hery loves this TM hammer. I do not know what size that he has, but he uses it often.

Kent's entire website is an educational visit worth taking, but here is the link to his air power hammers:

http://www.tinmantech.com/products/f...omplete-units/

sblack 11-05-2017 02:47 PM

Kent is the airplane fairing done with a linear stretch die like in your aph video?

crystallographic 11-07-2017 01:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sblack (Post 140895)
Kent is the airplane fairing done with a linear stretch die like in your aph video?

I have made a bunch of fairings with those linear dies since the 1990's, but I got a more complicated set to make recently, and wanted to try using more power, get fewer marks and see if that took less time to produce a more complicated shape.

Attachment 43947
Attachment 43948
I discovered that I could use a "radius-forming" bottom die with an upper contoured high durometer die for best results. Then I made a curved radius-forming lower die and used the same upper die for more aggressive shaped - and that worked nicely. It takes some serious pounding, but it is really no problem, and I have lots of power to spare before the metal fails, so it is a very comfortable method. I anneal once, only ... and then trim off the edge cracks once before I get my shape.

- and I can also make rocker panels of varying radii, in long lengths. I even radius-formed some .063 bronze, with no marking, just to see .... nice stuff. Have to get some images of that....