All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   Events (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Great time at Oblong metal meet (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=17231)

RockHillWill 10-17-2017 06:37 AM

Great time at Oblong metal meet

16 Attachment(s)
Jim and I just got back from the 2017 metal meet annually held in Oblong, Illinois. Here are some pictures, but first I would like to take time to thank those that interrupt their lives to host such a great event. Doug Haydorn and Doug Ganschow have always been my go-to guys, but they are only part of a great group of folks that include Kelly Tracey and his wife Susan, Steve Bowden and his wife Susan. Luke Johnson always seems to be around helping some one in some way. Prayers and best wishes for Doug Hawkins and his wife Cindy as they were unable to attend this years event.

Below, Jim Hery corrects some of the panel work that I made as a novice metal shaper on my speedster cowl panel.
Attachment 43616

Kevin Anton instructs a guest on the fine art of fusion gas welding
Attachment 43617

Randy Ferguson brought his '40 Willy's rear quarter bucks for the wild street rod that Vinny Esposito brought to Oblong.
Attachment 43618

Below, Robert Anton puts on a seminar on applying lead filler. His demo was done vertically.
Attachment 43619

More of Antons seminar, with Uncle Johnny, Patman, Lonnie Bass and Jacob Pfalzgraf.
Attachment 43620

A friend of Uncle Johnny and Jacob brought this nice ride.
Attachment 43621

Randy Ferguson was very helpful welding a crack that appeared in my speedster cowl section. Dan Shady was there to approve our work.
Attachment 43622

Kevin Anton shows Lonnie bass some more gas welding tips.
Attachment 43623

Jim Hery and I test the go kart tire on Peter's wheeling machine on a test panel for a Model A hood side.
Attachment 43624

The brain brothers (scattered and lame) are at it again - displaying there homage to their better half's.
Attachment 43625

Randy Ferguson showing the Willy's panels he made to Vinnies friend.
Attachment 43626

Uncle Johnny watches as Jacob works on a panel for a truck door that they brought to the event.
Attachment 43627

Jim Hery displays his interest in a set of wheeling machine rollers, made out of wood, that were seen on display.
Attachment 43628

Believe it or not, Kevin Anton welded up this 2" square steel cube and it is 3/4ths full of water. I promised him I would not reveal his secret.
Attachment 43629

Here I am, engrossed in an antique gas welding training book. Something by an old geezer out west in the mountains near the left coast, explaining the intricacies of this lost art. From the contents of this book, it's clear that he knows a thing or two about gas welding. The welding info was clearly better than the photography work.
Attachment 43630

Here is Mike LaJoice who shared his talent with those of us wanting to make copper art work. Thanks, Mike.
Attachment 43631

Steve_Greenway 10-17-2017 08:21 AM

Thanks for the photos and write-up Will. Looks like a great time. One of these years I'm going to make it to Oblong. (Maybe 2018?)