All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   Introductions (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Hello my names Jose from Austin Tx (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=16914)

Jose Lopez 07-17-2017 01:40 AM

Hello my names Jose from Austin Tx

Hello my names jose and go by el gato here in austin tx . Ive been working on hot rods and custom fabrications for about 5 years . Also do collaborations with a couple of friends who are metal shapers and fabricators . Ive been duing body and paint since i was 16 and in the mix learning all i can to improve any and every skill possible.

Im self employed since 2010 started a small one car bay shop duing only body and paint, took me a lil over 3 years to spread from my comfort zone and started duing more "table mixing" and my own touch on cars that i wanted to do somthing special for . As time went by i wanted to perfect my body work , attention to detail amplified for me and body lines and gaps were much more important to me so a couple of days in body work turned into weeks . I finally got the opportunity to invest in some tools and purchased a 150 SLT carry on miller tig welder and a Tweeko fabricator 141i mig welder . It took time before i can run a solid bead on both machines i practiced on replacement panels and patch panel work . After 2 years of dabbling in the unknown world of custom work i felt hooked to wanting to make everything my self ,but lacked the proper tools . Worked my ass off by overloading my self with work to be able to afford what i needed . Applied to a local hot rod shop that gave me the opportunity to showcase what i had to offer . Worked there for 2 years were i built some of my best work at the time . Got to meet folks who appreciated and complemented the work i had done. Traveled around the u.s. to shows like viva las vegas 18 , starbird car show and many more were a combination of work that the shop and my self had done was show cased . I have always been a loner and everything that i had learned had to be from scratch with out advice . So this was all new to me . Working on cars from 1930 -1960 was only a dream for me untill it turn into reality. I faced many challenges at the time , i had to make patch panels from scratch wich was hard . I had very little to non experience on the e-wheel ,shriker stretcher, and planishin hammer . Good thing was that the shop i worked for had just acquired a "shop line" of equipment from Beighley industrial , had the opportunity to spend time and learn basics and enough to make small replacement panels . That was the first of my problems , then came the welding i had never welded anything lighter than 1/8 so there i was applying too much heat to my panels and trashing them . With alot of trial and error i finally got it down. The more i dug into the craft the more i wanted to be involved in it . Moved back to my garage and this time i was able to afford the tools i needed to do it all at home .plans changed quickly and since then i had to opened up a shop to keep food on the table this time applying the new skills learned. Its been 5 years now and i cant complain ive been exposed to some great work and ive learned alot from friends ive made along the way . Im now rent free and for the first time own what i consider a small piece of heaven were i hope to make anything and everything that may come my way . I still have lots to learn and lots to ask . I stumbled upon this web site by pure accident and im glad i did . Why would i like to become a member ? I belong here amongst a groop of folks whos passion goes beyond the eye , were craftmentship drives the individuals who make this trade happen . Im Forshure this is not a hobby for me but a trade that im itching to learn more about from folks who day to day keep this art form alive.

Peter Tommasini 07-17-2017 08:34 AM

Hi Jose welcome to the forum
Peter