All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   Basic questions and answers (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Hood scoop idea? (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=4577)

nonhog 10-21-2011 09:41 PM

Hood scoop idea?

2 Attachment(s)
Not sure how in love with this idea I am. But to entertain myself I've been thinking about modding the hood on my grandma(ish) 74 Omega.

Thinking the 70-72 442 scooped hood might add some needed muscle to the bland Olds.

I'm thinking I could slice the flat hood bend the back part to bring it up and then make some sides and a front. (x2) to get the 442 look on the Omega hood.
Here is a 'paint' version of my idea.
Thoughts welcome!
Attachment 12316

Attachment 12317

bobadame 10-22-2011 08:08 AM

I think your Olds looks pretty classy as is.

ShawnMarsh 10-22-2011 09:30 AM

I like the idea. I might have a slightly different approach though. I would make the scoops from new metal and get them looking the way I want without ever cutting the hood. Then I would cut the hood, and use a t-dolly to roll the edges to meet the new metal of the scoops. The first metal shaping project I did was a 68 COPO Camaro style hood for my 67 Camaro, but my website is down right now or I'd show you a few pics to see what I mean.

Ben 10-22-2011 03:00 PM

Brad,

I would make them as wide as the grill inserts and not so high,gives a better line.

Ben

robert 10-22-2011 06:19 PM

it migth be the angle of the picture but it looks like they are not in they are not in mittle of the car

i agree with ben wider and lower

slobitz 10-22-2011 07:41 PM

Bens idea gets my vote.

nonhog 10-22-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobadame (Post 42512)
I think your Olds looks pretty classy as is.

Thanks, I do too. However I have the classy thing handled with my 65 Cutlass. Pretty sure my 455 I'm building will go in the Omega and leave the Cutlass a cruiser.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnMarsh (Post 42514)
I like the idea. I might have a slightly different approach though. I would make the scoops from new metal and get them looking the way I want without ever cutting the hood. Then I would cut the hood, and use a t-dolly to roll the edges to meet the new metal of the scoops. The first metal shaping project I did was a 68 COPO Camaro style hood for my 67 Camaro, but my website is down right now or I'd show you a few pics to see what I mean.

I may have seen that before, tell us when the sites back up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben (Post 42523)
Brad,

I would make them as wide as the grill inserts and not so high,gives a better line.

Ben

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert (Post 42531)
it migth be the angle of the picture but it looks like they are not in they are not in mittle of the car

i agree with ben wider and lower

Quote:

Originally Posted by slobitz (Post 42538)
Bens idea gets my vote.

It was a quicky cut/paste on MS paint. I dont have photoshop. I agree they are not right, just the idea is what I was after there.
Pretty sure I'll mod the grill also. I'm o.k. with the way it rolls up and over but I think it would look 'tougher' flat.

So if I end up doing this what gauge sheet metal should I get? So its strong enough.

I do welcome all thoughts and opinions. Thanks guys!

jhunter 10-23-2011 08:15 AM

It would be a nice little project but rather than modify the existing hood that looks to be in really nice condition and already painted, I would get a second hood and modify that. Since you will need to paint anyway once the scoops are done, you might as well not have the original hood messed up, just in case the look doesn't match what's in your head. Either way, I hope to see pictures of your progress.

Joe Andrews 10-23-2011 09:04 AM

Looks Cool Brad but I agree with Ben as well. That's one Nice looking Omega, You don't see many Cars after '73 in that good of Shape because they were not considered Muscle Cars so they got the wheels drove off them and retired. I've seen more and more of these mid 70's Cars popping up at Car Shows which is very Cool to me. The Omega, Ventura, and Apollo Cars were all cool but the Nova is Considered the Muscle of the Bunch.

Remember in '76 Most Manufacturers had 200 Anniversary Additions? I'm surprised nobody's Restoring those Cars.

nonhog 10-24-2011 11:26 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhunter (Post 42547)
It would be a nice little project but rather than modify the existing hood that looks to be in really nice condition and already painted, I would get a second hood and modify that. Since you will need to paint anyway once the scoops are done, you might as well not have the original hood messed up, just in case the look doesn't match what's in your head. Either way, I hope to see pictures of your progress.

Thats a very good idea. Only problem is finding another 74 Omega to get a hood from. My thoughts are many are now recycled.

The hood mod (if it happens) is a ways away. I am now going with a tail redo. Getting rid of the plastic add on and trimming and tucking the rear bumper.

Attachment 12578

Attachment 12579

Attachment 12580

Attachment 12581