All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   interesting shape (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=18241)

Peter Tommasini 08-20-2018 05:02 AM

interesting shape

5 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,
Most of you would know what a 1959 Cadillac ''spears'' or ''cones'' are. They fit on the quarter panel wing of the Caddy. These panels can hold water and rust out at the bottom quite badly. A client approached me to make these parts because he had them fixed by someone who just cut the rusted section out and welded a patch in. What they didn't realize was that the heat from the weld turned the shape at the bottom the opposite way (they were bowing the opposite way). He had no choice but to make new parts. The old ones are in blue because after filling them they could not be chromed as they were meant to be. It was a very interesting shape to make

Attachment 48326

Attachment 48327

Attachment 48328

Attachment 48329

Attachment 48331

Peter

Gareth Davies 08-20-2018 05:43 AM

That's a tricky part to reproduce, especially to get the definition in the tip. Out of interest, how big are they?

Nice job though.

Gojeep 08-20-2018 06:09 AM

Thank you for sharing that Pete as looks like an interesting part to make. Any in progress photos?

Peter Tommasini 08-20-2018 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gareth Davies (Post 148305)
That's a tricky part to reproduce, especially to get the definition in the tip. Out of interest, how big are they?

Nice job though.

Gareth
The half radius at the bottom is about 150 mm, the very top is only 3 mm wide or under, they are 600 mm long. the trick was the overall shape not been a straight triangle :eek: also the overall shape is straight from the tail light and then curved at the end to meet the shape of the wing. If you google 1959 Cadillac you will be able to see how they fit on the Quarter ....Very tricky ;)
Peter

Peter Tommasini 08-20-2018 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojeep (Post 148307)
Thank you for sharing that Pete as looks like an interesting part to make. Any in progress photos?

Not in this case Marcus it was a last thought .. but.. I will include this particular shape on the planishing hammer video out soon
Peter

billfunk29 08-20-2018 08:51 AM

caddie fins

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 48332
Nice parts Peter. I don't need any but I am tempted to try it just for practice.

Peter Tommasini 08-20-2018 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billfunk29 (Post 148314)
Attachment 48332
Nice parts Peter. I don't need any but I am tempted to try it just for practice.

Bill thank you for the pic :D Try to do one it will be a good exercise for you ;)
Peter

MP&C 08-20-2018 08:13 PM

Nice work Peter!

Jaroslav 08-21-2018 01:40 AM

Peter, a beautiful result. Repeatedly the same. Great recognition.
Please show the process. :confused:

Charlie Myres 08-21-2018 05:34 PM

Lovely work Peter!

Let this babe-in-the-woods have an educated guess at a process which might work.
* Roll and slap the cone with a straight axis over a forming-stake.
* Stretch the return with a stake and planishing hammer – the bit that meets the wing.
* Tip the flanges with a variety of tipping tools – I think a specially shaped stake and hammer would work on the pointy end.

Please critique my thoughts all you legends – I don't have time to do any metal-shaping at the moment, so virtual-shaping is good for my brain,

Cheers Charlie